martes, 25 de noviembre de 2014
Constructing the “Soviet”?
Call for Papers
April 17-18, 2015, Annual Conference «Constructing the “Soviet”? Political Consciousness, Everyday Practices, New Identities».
We invite papers on the following topics, among others:
- Opposition, authoritarianism and political culture;
- Production of knowledge: science, education, ideology;
- The history of technologies: large-scale projects and local actors;
- Bribes, “blat” and patronage: informal connections and practices.
- Soviet benefits: healthcare, mass housing, pioneer camps, salary, pensions;
- Gender and age issues in soviet social and symbolic space;
- NEP, Thaw, Perestroika: reform challenges and ability to change;
- The Soviet Orient in religious and national context;
- Construction of the “Soviet” abroad: transnational and international processes.
- Labor and leisure in a Soviet way;
- Faces of war: hostilities, military everyday life, militarization of society.
Participation is open to undergraduate or PhD students in the humanities and social sciences. No remote participation is possible. Conference working languages are Russian and English.
To apply please send a short paper* and CV to the following e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline for papers: February 1, 2015.
A collection of the selected papers will be published by the beginning of the conference. Programs and volumes of papers from previous years are available at:
The European University at St. Petersburg can cover travel and accommodation costs for only some of the participants. We ask those who wish to apply for funding support to send a brief explanation of need and a proposed budget of travel and accommodation expenses.
* Paper Requirements:
- 15,000 characters max. (including spaces and footnotes);
- MS Word;
- Times New Roman 12, 1.5 space, automatic footnotes.
Please use the previous volumes of conference papers as an example:http://www.eupress.ru/books/index/view/series/15.
For more information: email@example.com,https://www.facebook.com/constructing & http://vk.com/club59115149.